Blogging in Education

Blogging is an amazing tool for students to use; it gives students the chance to be exposed to the 21st century's style of learning with technology, while also sharing ideas and working with other peers. 

As a blog author, I think it is a great idea to collaborate with students who may or may not be my own students. This would allow them to communicate with others virtually, and teach them how to write a proper message using a keyboard, as opposed to the normal pen and paper. In addition from being a blog author, and also a college student, I think a great collaboration assignment that would be like a "pen pal" assignment via blogging. The way this could work is to have:

  • a lower elementary student paired with a higher elementary student. 
  • a higher elementary student paired with a middle school student 
  • a middle school student paired with a high school student
  • or a high school student paired with a college student. 
Some could also work with 2 different grade levels than them. 

Students would use their blogs as an advice forum, where they could either ask for advice, give advice, respond to advice, etc. to prepare them for the next level of education. This is a way that students could exercise their thinking, and gain an understanding of how to communicate with others. 

There are also many other benefits to student blogging. Mark Thomson from EmergingEdTech wrote an article called "Why Your Students Should Blog: 6 Powerful Benefits." This includes 

1. Blogging exercises student creativity. 
2. Regular writing sharpens the brains performance. 
3. Promotes expression of self.
4. Blogging boosts confidence. 
5. Improve communication skills.
6. Earn income. 

I would like to add my thoughts to some of his points. Something he had to add to his first point (Blogging exercises student creativity), is that students are able to "respond to their follower's feedback and comments." Writing in itself is a form of creativity. By writing a message back to others, what is put into the message reflects you. How you put your words together reflects how you sound to others, and how you use grammar and punctuation, shows how important that is to you. And as individuals get older and reflect back on their writing, they will be able to see how much their creativity has progressed. 

Thomson also stated that "Many specialists talk about the phenomenon of how daily writing improves and sharpens your brain's performance." Which is 100% true because writing is a brain exercise. According to Lulu Blog writing keeps your mind sharp because it keeps your mind active, engages your senses, improves your cognitive function, encourages concentration, and increases brain plasticity. I can understand this idea from observing myself. I used to be a huge writer, and I knew how to express myself articulately. But when I stopped writing as much, I felt like my thoughts were all over the place and I like I forgot how to express myself like I used to. 

Number 3, blogging promotes expression of self, is the one that I agree with the most. You can truly learn about someone from how they write, and what they write. If someone writes really long paragraphs, you can tell that they have a lot to say. If it's sloppy and doesn't make sense, you'll assume that they don't really care. If someone writes very basic, without and details, you'll assume that they aren't a detail oriented person. 

Blogging can also boost confidence because some kids may be able to find themselves through their writing. And with writing, you might be able to say things that you might be too shy to say out loud. I was one of those kids. I still kind of am. Some people have a lot to say, but might not know how to say it out loud and keep it short. That is why texting and writing letters was my niche in high school. It also brings some people out of their shells. And through that, you are able to improve communication skills. 

The last benefit, is students can make an income. This is far fetched, but some kids might find that writing for blogs is something that they really enjoy doing, they could turn it into a career, or a side job. Some companies pay people to write about their products. Blogging could also take students somewhere further, such as working in advertisement and marketing companies!

Works Cited

Author, Guest, and Guest AuthorFeaturing a variety of writers from all around the world. “How Writing Every Day Keeps Your Mind Sharp.” Lulu Blog, 21 May 2019, https://blog.lulu.com/2019/04/19/how-writing-every-day-keeps-your-mind-sharp/.

Thomson, Mark. “Mark Thomson.” Emerging Education Technologies, 21 June 2018, https://www.emergingedtech.com/2018/04/why-your-students-should-blog-6-powerful-benefits/.

Author, Guest, and Guest AuthorFeaturing a variety of writers from all around the world. “How Writing Every Day Keeps Your Mind Sharp.” Lulu Blog, 21 May 2019, https://blog.lulu.com/2019/04/19/how-writing-every-day-keeps-your-mind-sharp/.
Thomson, Mark. “Mark Thomson.” Emerging Education Technologies, 21 June 2018, https://www.emergingedtech.com/2018/04/why-your-students-should-blog-6-powerful-benefits/.
Author, Guest, and Guest AuthorFeaturing a variety of writers from all around the world. “How Writing Every Day Keeps Your Mind Sharp.” Lulu Blog, 21 May 2019, https://blog.lulu.com/2019/04/19/how-writing-every-day-keeps-your-mind-sharp/.
Thomson, Mark. “Mark Thomson.” Emerging Education Technologies, 21 June 2018, https://www.emergingedtech.com/2018/04/why-your-students-should-blog-6-powerful-benefits/.
Author, Guest, and Guest AuthorFeaturing a variety of writers from all around the world. “How Writing Every Day Keeps Your Mind Sharp.” Lulu Blog, 21 May 2019, https://blog.lulu.com/2019/04/19/how-writing-every-day-keeps-your-mind-sharp/.
Thomson, Mark. “Mark Thomson.” Emerging Education Technologies, 21 June 2018, https://www.emergingedtech.com/2018/04/why-your-students-should-blog-6-powerful-benefits/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Tool: Educaplay.com

My First Blogpost